Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tourist season

Now that I run almost exclusively downtown on the weekends, it's impossible to ignore that we are at the height of tourist season. Today on the Seawall there were seemingly more people out on rented bikes than there were walkers or runners. Everyone has a folded map in hand or in pocket. Sightseeing buses are are more ubiquitous than public buses, and the public buses seem to run more slowly because the driver is constantly assisting people with the ticket reader, helping them figure out their Canadian coins, asking them to move their luggage from the handicapped seating, and letting them know when their stop is approaching. But overall, it adds an interesting dynamic to the city. I know I feel a little prouder of where I live when I see so many people enjoying it.

I got stopped today during my run by a very touristy-looking family who wanted directions to Robson Street from their hotel. A mistake on their part, because I'm no good at giving directions. I navigate using landmarks and an internal compass. I suppose people see a runner and assume I know where I'm going. I hope this poor family eventually found their way to Pacific Centre Mall and are not currently roaming the Downtown Eastside.

As for the run: It was hot. I ran slowly. Eventually, I stopped. I only got up to 14K today. Honestly, I'm not too pleased with how my marathon training is going. I need to book my accommodations for RVM, but now I'm wondering if I'll be ready for it. I've been feeling sluggish and unmotivated for the past few weeks, though I suspect this is because my iron levels are low.

Then again, I'm excited about the prospect of running a race in a different city. Running tourism is a lifestyle I could get used to.

No comments: